Sometimes it is necessary to kill a running virtual machine process (eg. if there is locked file). You need to know the Leader World ID from the VM that needs to be killed.
First, run esxtop command from the shell:
- Press c to switch to the CPU resource utilization screen.
- Press Shift+v to limit the view to virtual machines. This may make it easier to find the Leader World ID in step 7.
- Press f to display the list of fields.
- Press c to add the column for the Leader World ID.
- Identify the target virtual machine by its Name and Leader World ID (
- Press k.
- At the
World to killprompt, type in the Leader World ID from step 6 and press Enter.
- Wait 30 seconds and validate that the process is not longer listed.
Wait 30 seconds and validate that the process is not longer listed.